Wednesday, August 20, 2008

anjali anjali anjali

I was in Madras earlier this year..and there I was on a reading spree. Got to read a couple of (supposed to be) classics including To Kill A Mocking Bird. I also got to watch Anjali on one of the hundred Tamil channels. While watching Anjali..the similarities between the movie and the book never struck (striked?) me.

(After returning to Mumbai..I saw the movie adaptation of To Kill A Mocking Bird..)

Some time back..I came to this link. The writer explains the similarities between some characters and some sub-plots.
Last night, Anjali was going on on KTV..and really..it was very freaky to see so many common points. My favourite has to be the Boo Radley - Prabhu one. But..I was kind of lost when Prabhu was there in the hospital when Anjali was admitted towards the end of the movie. Did he stalk them to the hospital?

Anyway, it is one of my favourite movies..though very sad. I love everything about the film..especially the kids. And..I loovee watching the songs and all the children dancing..makes me very happy for some reason :D

One more thing which makes the movie a classic : the BGM. No need to explain it. Fantastic compositions.

Confession:
Anjali is probably my favourite film of Mani Ratnam. Sadly, I havent seen some of his other movies..like Agni Natchathiram, Iruvar etc. I've never seen Bombay at a stretch. I forced myself to watch Nayagan..and I remember nothing of it. Dil Se..seen parts of it. I should go and get the entire Ratnam collection.

Oh..and I've seen Mani Ratnam in person. I was present at the Aayitha ezhuthu premiere at IIFA 2004(spore) :D

2 comments:

A Random Traveler said...

Oh yes. You should watch them all. Mani is one of the most mature directors of indian cinema. (Atleast i feel so).

My favourite one from him would be Roja (1992). Imagine something like that 16 years back. It still stands.

I hope you have seen Mouna ragam and Alaipaythe too.

Good luck!

... said...

Yes..I have seen Mouna Raagam and Alai Payuthey..great movies.
Mouna Raagam..I watch it just for Karthik everytime it's aired on tv.

thanks for visiting my blog and commenting :)